The Sports Diversity Leadership Council made a lot of positive progress in 2018. Here are highlights of the year’s activities:
- Launched preview of 2019 SDL Designation Online Courses developed by Connie Wardman, M.A., SDLT.
- Announced 2019 SDLC course schedule.
- Prepared for the 2019 Sports Diversity Leadership Conference at Sin City Classic.
- As of December 31, 2018 (2018 year-to-date), Compete Sports Diversity/SDLC has donated more than $200,000+ in cash, SDLC scholarships and in-kind donations and sponsorships to further sports diversity.
- Hosted Sports Diversity Leadership Conference in Scottsdale, Arizona during 9th Annual Petey Awards weekend in partnership with Experience Scottsdale, Embassy Suites Scottsdale, King’s Inn San Diego, Arizona Diamondbacks and Arizona Coyotes.
- Hosted four-panel SDLC Educational Series at the Sports Diversity Leadership Conference.
- NAGAAA named 2018 SDLC Organization of the Year and will receive a donation from SDLC member and sponsor Pride Card Services in 2019.
- Compete Magazine announced 10th Annual Petey Awards will be presented as part of the 2020 Sin City Classic along with expanded SDLC Conferences at Sin City Classic for 2020 and 2021.
- SDLC announced plans to host first annual Sports Diversity Leadership Council Honors in 2019.
- SDLC member Richmond, Virginia’s HRC Equality Index Score jumped from 42 to 92, thanks in part to SDLC.
- National Football League (NFL) joined the SDLC.
- Diversitas Media began introducing SDLC members to prospective sponsor-partners.
- Announced partnership with 100% Bully-Proof to provide anti-bullying education.
- Met with JP Morgan Chase and other national sponsors on behalf of SDLC to discuss sponsorship opportunities.
- Attended 2018 Connect Sports Marketplace in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Presented two educational panels at Connect Sports Marketplace.
- Diversitas Media awarded $18,000+ in cash and prizes to SDLC members as part of inaugural Goldfish Bowl. Congratulations to winners Gay Polo League and ASANA Softball and to finalists USA Dodgeball and Lynn Lewis Foundation.
- Announced partnership with Diversitas Media to secure sponsorships for SDLC members.
- Compete Sports Diversity Jubilee announced in partnership with ASANA softball and USA Dodgeball. Event will benefit sports diversity and be held in Richmond, Virginia in May 2019.
- Introduced three-course educational webinar series on the Power of Numbers, the Power of Relationships and the Power of Resources preparing members for Goldfish Bowl.
- Announced partnership with Pride Card Services.
- Distributed the 2018 Pride Run Series Event Guide.
- Participated in Connect LGBTQ+ Tourism Summit in partnership with Nike in Portland, Oregon.
- Attended Sin City Classic leadership lunch.
We’ve held the Compete Sports Diversity Awards every year since, taking it to Phoenix, Atlanta, Los Angeles twice, Denver, Kansas City and Scottsdale. And every year the event’s gotten bigger as major league team sports have begun to recognize the power of LGBTQ+ sports – I like that! Partners at the 2018 Petey Awards included the local Arizona Cardinals, the Arizona Coyotes, the Arizona Diamondbacks and the National Football League (NFL).
Compete has always kept a focus on everyday LGBTQ+ and ally recreational athletes, telling their stories and those of the leagues that have welcomed them to play. Compete has also always been generous with its time and money to help the LGBT+ sport community grow. It’s donated over $200,000 in cash, SDLC scholarships and in-kind donations and sponsorships. That’s FABULOUS! It’s the reason I’m so proud to represent Compete!
So if you haven’t already joined the Compete Sports Diversity Leadership Council, do it!- Petey