By Dirk Smith
Dubbed, the “Super Bowl” of gay flag football, the 19th edition of the annual Gay Bowl is coming to New York City this weekend October 10th-13th for one of the largest LGBTQI sports tournaments of the year. The tournament includes teams from all over the US, Canada, Europe and the world to compete in a large tournament organized by the National Gay Flag Football League. The tournament will feature teams in Open A, Open B, Open C, and Women’s divisions.
The 2019 Gay Bowl being hosted in New York City caps off a season of LGBTQI sports events in NYC to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Stonewall Riots, these events included the 2019 IGLA, New York Pride Run which set the world record for the largest event of its kind, Chelsea Challenge Hockey Tournament, and NYC’s many professional sports teams celebrating with large LGBTQI pride events.
This year’s Gay Bowl is set to be an excellent and exciting tournament! This year events include…
- LGBTQI Sports Panel and Mixer on October 8th at 630pm
- Meet-N-Greet on October 9th at 7pm
- Opening Party on October 10th at 630pm
- Friday Night Party (Women’s Division) on October 11th at 6pm
- Friday Night Party (Open Divisions) on October 11th at 7pm
- Saturday Night Party (Women’s Division) on October 12th at 7pm
- Saturday Night Party (Open Division) on October 12th at 7pm
- Closing Party on October 13th at 7pm
The tournament itself will take place at Randall’s Island Park which contains “approximately half of all the football fields in Manhattan and is a 20-minute subway ride from the host hotel and offers some of the most amazing views and parts of Manhattan history to experience.
As a Gay Bowl XIX partner, Compete Sports Diversity can’t wait to see you there!