The Phoenix-based Cactus Cities Softball League (CCSL) hosted its annual Saguaro Cup Softball Tournament April 11-13 as well as the 2014 NAGAAA Cup. CCSL is a member of the North American Gay Amateur Athletic Alliance (NAGAAA) that has five different divisions of play, giving everyone who wants to swing a bat and throw a ball the opportunity to get involved.
The divisions – A, B, C, D and Masters – begin at A for the most skilled players and go to D for those recreational players with a lower skill level. The Masters level is for players 50 years of age and older who still want to compete.
The CCSL was able to host both tournaments on the same weekend due to NAGAAA’s division structure. The NAGAAA Cup was an A and B team tournament; the Saguaro Cup tournament was an Open C and D teams only as well as Women’s A-D teams.
Here are team pictures of the NAGAAA Cup Winners as well as the results for the Saguaro Cup Winners.
2014 NAGAAA Cup Winners
• 1st Place: Roscoes Coors Light HP2 Ticoz Monsta Toros
• 2nd Place: Palm Springs Rounders 2.0
• 3rd Place: Orlando Force
2014 Saguaro Cup Winners:
Open C Results:
• 1st Place: Long Beach Outlaws
• 2nd Place: Minneapolis Swingers
• 3rd Place: Long Beach Pegasus
Open D Results
• 1st Place: Huntington Beach Tornados
• 2nd Place: San Diego Hitmen
• 3rd Place: Phoenix Plazma Lizards
• 1st Place: Los Angeles Flaming Turtles
• 2nd Place: Phoenix Heat
• 3rd Place: San Diego The Fun Team
The CCSL is an adult slowpitch softball league that is predominantly LGBT but also open to all who want to play softball. Begun in 1994, the tournament has grown into the premier gay softball tournament in the southwest, consistently ranking as one of the country’s largest gay softball tournaments. It is sanctioned by the Amateur Softball Association (ASA).